St Margaret’s College is a Christian values-based community of learners. The College is the former residence of the Sisters of the Society of the Sacred Advent. Set in the quiet garden enclave adjacent to St Margaret’s Anglican Girls School, the buildings are positioned next to Community House which was purchased by the Sisters in 1910. Community House, or “Donatello” as it was then known, was the original school building and included the office, library, chapel, teaching and boarding facilities. In 1915 the nearby Sisters’ Chapel was built and 100 years later is still used by the remaining Sisters.
In the late 1940s, a south facing building with city views was constructed and used for the frail and unwell Sisters. The building, named ‘St Raphael’ after the Saint of Healing, included seven rooms where full time care was provided by a registered nurse. It also included a large common room and library (currently the College student lounge).
In 1967, the Clewer building was constructed next to St Raphael and opened as an accommodation facility for the Sisters who taught in the school and in more recent years used for retreats. The building was named after the founding sister, Sister Caroline, who worked as a missionary in the Clewer community in Windsor, England. Sister Caroline upon arriving in Australia in September 1892, established the Sisters of the Society of the Sacred Advent as a Church of England Religious Order and set about her work in education and establishing much needed Church Schools.
In 1984 the Labyrinth was built in the gardens of the precinct with stones gifted from St John’s Cathedral in Ann Street, Brisbane. Using the off cuts from the restoration of the Cathedral, the stone mason, who was contracted from England, set about constructing the Labyrinth.
In the 1990s, Mother Eunice commissioned the expansion of the precinct which linked both buildings by a central office and included an upgrade of the bathrooms and kitchens. In 1997, an extension was approved in St Raphael bedrooms, which included removing the balconies and enclosing the rooms with full length glass windows.
In 2011, the Sisters moved out of Community House, Clewer and St Raphael. In 2014 the St Margaret’s Anglican School Council, with the approval of Mother Eunice and the Sisters, commenced the upgrade and refurbishment of both building wings in readiness for the opening of a tertiary residential facility for undergraduate and postgraduate women studying in Brisbane. St Margaret’s College officially opened its doors to foundation students in February 2015.